Friday, June 21, 2013

Bio Fun Photos Week 1

Here is a prime example of the cuticle layer of a plant. The cuticle layer protective film covering the epidermis of leaves, young shoots and other aerial plant organs without periderm.



This yellow jacket (hard to see, I know) is an example of a pollinator. Honestly, they are not primarily pollinators as they are hunting insects that feast on other insects, but, on occasion, these "meat bees" pollinate. Pollinators are biotic agents that move pollen from the male anthers of a flower to the female stigma creating fertilization.

Look closely at this picture. You will notice two fornicating turtles. On a recent trip to the zoo, Phebe and I happened to come across these wild beasts which are a clear example of mating behavior.

Long day plants, like these clovers, are plants that flower only after longer exposure to sunlight. These clovers blossomed in the summer.

This bird's nest and the surrounding tree branches/area are examples of a niche. A niche is the specific area an organism inhabits.


Hi guys. As you can see, I've posted some really great photos. I hope you all enjoy. I'm new to the whole "blogging" thing so get off my case if I make some mistakes (Anish). Well thanks. Also, I'm reading that book. That is a quality piece of writing. Good stuff.

2 comments:

  1. What biology term is the elusive "Adam Piecoro" that we see in the second to last picture?

    ReplyDelete