Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Hot Zone: Part 3

This part annoyed me so much.

The style that the author uses sets you up to expect the absolute worst. When he described the girl whose space suit battery broke and let the contaminated air in, I thought she was a goner. I prepared myself for everyone to get ebola, and I kept waiting for it.

Have you ever seen "Soul Surfer"? Its about Bethany Hamilton, a shark attack survivor. In the beginning, before the attack, Bethany is just surfing; doing her own thing. The camera keeps doing underwater shots of her board and you automatically get nervous because you know the shark is going to get her. The thing is, they do this like five times. Each time you're like "Oh its going to get her this time" but you keep holding your breath and nothing happens. That's how I felt throughout part 3.

What confuses me is how this strain of Ebola doesn't affect humans. It scares me that the workers have been infected yet nothing happens. So we all could have Ebola Reston and be transmitting it, yet we don't know. What happens when one day it mutates and flips a switch to start to destroy people? There is an app/game on my phone called "Plague Inc" where you create your own virus and the challenge is to wipe out the human race. There is a specific virus called the Nano-Virus, the best way to use this one is to infect everyone, keeping the lethality really low.These people don't know they have the virus because it has no symptoms yet. It just hides and multiplies in their body.  It has a feature called "the kill switch". Once you infect everyone, you can activate the kill switch and everyone instantly dies. I hope Ebola Reston doesn't come with a kill switch. If we don't know we have Ebola Reston and it activates a kill switch, it's game over.

No comments:

Post a Comment