Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Hot Zone: Part 2


The second part to this book seemed a lot less confusing. There wasn't as much switching back and forth to have to keep up with.

Throughout the book, the author will describe certain little things in detail and it helps me picture them. When Jaxx's hand cut was described in part one, I  got an uneasy feeling. In part two, when the two scientists sniffed the test tube, I got an uneasy feeling again. I just knew that smelling the tube was not a good idea at all. I mean, Mrs. Gina tells us all the time to not sniff something in the lab! What were these guys thinking?!

I thought the glow test in the storage room seems very interesting. I would be terrified and probably feeling claustrophobic sitting in that room with the microscope and seeing the sample of Ebola glow. I would want to get out of that room and away from that virus as soon as possible.

I'm not only surprised but also confused with the fact that none of the workers at the Reston Monkey House have gotten the virus yet, they've been handling the monkeys without the proper protection and without caution. Reading this book has been turning me into a germaphobe because I realized that I have no idea what kinds of viruses are just sitting on things I deal with every day.

2 comments:

  1. Isa - isn't it amazing how this book reads like fiction?! It certainly does point out how specialized the role of a "virus" researcher is... don't know if I could do it but am fascinated by it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to want to be an epidemiologist but reading about the effects of Marburg and Ebola have scared me away......

    ReplyDelete